- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 28-ounce cans of San Marzano whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Tabasco (to taste)
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onions and cook until translucent and tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes (along with the juices) and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the flavors mesh. Stir occasionally.
- Season with tabasco, salt, and black pepper (to taste).
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup mixture together. If you don't have an immersion blender, use a regular blender to puree the soup in batches. Note: You'll want to remove the small cap from the blender lid. If you don't do this step, the steam from the soup will pop the lid off the blender. Return the pureed soup back to the pot and reheat.
- Serve warm with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Note: If you want a smooth soup, after step 4, run the soup through a fine mesh strainer. Press on the solids until your bowl is filled with the liquid. You might need to season the soup again with TABASCO, salt, and pepper.